We have moved!

This blog is no longer actively updated. You can now find us at http://poetscollective.org/poetryforms/.

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Terza Rima


The literal translation of terza rima from Italian is 'third rhyme'.

Terza rima is a three-line stanza using chain rhyme in the pattern aba bcb cdc ded d or dd.
minimum 13 line, no maximum
Line-length 11
There is no limit to the number of lines, but poems or sections of poems written in terza rima end with either a single line or couplet repeating the rhyme of the middle line of the final tercet.

Rhyme Patterns: aba bcb cdc ded d or aba bcb cdc ded dd
There is no set rhythm for terza rima, but in English, iambic pentameter is generally preferred.

Example Poem:

Second Chance     (Terza Rima)

Oh dearest one can you believe that fate
has saved us for each other?  Even though
I wanted you I acted way too late?

When Europe called, with scholarship I know
you had to leave.  My duties kept me here,
and let me grieve, still thinking I should go.

Then accident with dad, and duties clear
delayed, me slammed doors.  'til we each were wed.
For both of us our lives were filled with cheer.

New hurts were hurled at both;  young spouses dead,
such hateful hurts so thoroughly depriving.
Each now alone, with loneliness ahead.

I found a poem and thru that you--surviving.
You found me, old love, happiness arriving.

© Lawrencealot - January 1, 2013


Visual Template




No comments:

Post a Comment